Your computer may be compared to your kitchen’s junk drawer in many ways. There are a lot of items in there that you aren’t making use of right now, but you can’t bear to get rid of them since you never know when you may want them in the future. But, on the other hand, they need a lot of areas.
There are numerous files on your computer, ranging from videos and family photographs to old school papers and signed contracts that you don’t use very often but don’t want to get rid of.
Some examples of these types of files include: You can archive the files thanks to the fact that you can compress them into more manageable data packages. You can do that when you have WinRAR. This is an amazing software that pretty much every computer and laptop has installed in them.
What Does WinRAR Do?
WinRAR is a file archive application compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. It is a software program that you can download for free and try out. In April 1995, it was first made available to the public after being created by Eugene Roshal of win.rar GmbH. The program uses the RAR and ZIP file formats to assist you in retrieving the data presently stored on your computer but is not being used to clear up space on your hard drive.
The compression process causes the files to become smaller than they previously were, resulting in increased storage space on your device. After discovering a significant vulnerability in the previous month, the program was updated and made available in February 2019. Before you purchase this utility program, you can test it out for forty days for free so that you may determine whether or not it satisfies your specific requirements.
How to use WinRAR on Mac:
You must use the command line to use WinRAR on Mac OS X since this version of WinRAR does not have a graphical user interface (GUI). Although WinRAR is most often associated with Windows computers, it is also compatible with Mac OS X. So, let’s look into how you can use it on Mac.
- To use the command line interface for Mac OS X, choose “Applications” from the menu bar, then “Utilities,” and finally, “Terminal.”
- Ensure you are in the directory containing the folders you wish to archive before continuing.
- To include the contents of the directory “your_directory_name” into a RAR archive, use the command “rar_a_your_directory_name your_rar_name.rar.” First, you need to ensure that the directory name and the RAR file name in this example are replaced with the names of your folder and the RAR filename you want to use.
- To unzip a RAR file, type “unrar your_rar_filename.rar.”
How do I get WinRAR to work on my Mac?
If you want to get WinRAR that works on your Mac, then you can download it from this page, Here on this page, you will find the download button, which you need to click, and then you need to download the file and click install One this to note that WinRAR for macOS is a command-line only application. However, you can use an intuitive GUI client for your compression/decompression, like The Unarchiver or Keka.
Is WinRAR free on Mac?
Yes, WinRAR is free on Mac. All you need to do is download the file and proceed with the installation, and you are good to go.
Which is the best alternative RAR Extractor in Mac for WinRAR?
Here are some of the best alternatives for WinRAR-
- Unzip-Online.com: You may extract files without installing any software by visiting Unzip-Online.com. It’s as easy as uploading the RAR file, waiting for it to extract, and then downloading the archived data. Because you trust a third party with your data, it is less secure but handier.
- The Unarchiver: If you’re satisfied with the standard macOS file extractor and only want to add RAR compatibility, The Unarchiver is the finest RAR extractor for Mac. By default, The Unarchiver will launch when you double-click a ZIP file, but you may configure your Mac to launch immediately when you double-click a RAR file.
- Keka: Keka supports RAR5 if you’re looking for a more advanced alternative. In addition, you may choose which files inside a compressed archive (RAR) to extract. However, Keka, in contrast to The Unarchiver, is not free to use.
Also Read: How to Download Discord on MacOS?
How do I unzip a file with WinRAR?
If you want to unzip with WinRaR, here is what you need to follow-
- On your computer, go to the location of the .rar file you want to open, and then double-click on the file. This will show the file inside WinRAR after it has opened.
- On the panel on the right-hand side of the screen, click the text that reads “Unzip to:” and then choose where you would want to keep your file. For example, you may save it to your desktop or an external hard drive.
- To get started, you need to click the “Unzip” button. After a little period, you will be able to open and make use of the files included inside the RAR archive at the chosen place.
How do I put files in WinRAR?
After selecting one or more files, click the “Add” button at the top of the WinRAR window or pick the “Add files to archive” command from the Commands menu. This will add the files to the archive. You can enter the name of the destination archive into the dialog box that displays, or you can just accept the default name.
Conclusion: WinRAR is a tool you might consider using if you want to archive files on your Mac to clear up space on the device by compressing files you don’t use very often. Hopefully, through our tutorial on how to use e WinRAR on Mac, you can easily perform your work on compressing files that you do not regularly use.